Sunday, October 2, 2011

50/50 and Apples


I didn't have time to post a new listing for the weekend, because I went apple-picking!


But I listed this stuffed bunny art plush kilt pin over the week!

Raccoon and I completely forgot that I had asked the guys (in passing) if they wanted to go, too, so it was just the two of us that day. <3

We picked about 20 pounds total (it was annoying that the farm didn't use metric :P) of Fuji and Honeycrisp apples -- not too interested in the Jonagold -- and got two jugs of freshly milled cider to share. Jonagold and Fuji apples will continue to ripen over October, so it's prime apple-picking season!


When we got back to civilization, we met up with the others for dinner and a movie. During the meal, B. suddenly asked when we were going apple-picking. I exchanged several "I totally forgot!!!!!!" shocked glances in succession with Raccoon while everyone sat in an awkward silence...

tl;dr We're going apple-picking again next weekend!!


...On a related note, 50/50 was really sad and brought tears to everyone's eyes. I bawled through half of it and had swollen eyes for the rest of the night.

It was a good movie. Without making light of its serious subject matter, though, I'd have to say it didn't have enough comedy. Sure, it accurately captures many, many awkward moments in life. And sure, awkward scenes that make you cringe with the characters seem to be a popular device lately.
But the awkwardness is just heaped on in this film, without much else to induce laughter. Despite all their efforts to market this as a refreshingly funny take on life with cancer, it left me feeling heavy and uncomfortable.

And, honestly, there are better movies to watch if you're in the mood for something heavy and uncomfortable. I'd watch Memento for the nth time. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment