Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Birds and Spiders

Newest listing: Chubby Chirpy blueberry bird

The picture shows my latest project -- a fatty plushie bird. I usually only make miniature to palm-sized things (for cuteness), so they don't take much time. This fellow took snippets of free time over two days.

Speaking of free time... I started Anansi Boys (Neil Gaiman) last night and finished it in 4.5 hours. I COULDN'T STOP. My eyes barely left the page even when I was getting snacks or walking over to the laptop to look up "Jaffa Cake".

D, my most literary friend, recommended several of his favourite books when he last visited. I've since purchased and read Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) and The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafón), but Anansi Boys didn't seem that interesting, so I borrowed it from the library.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for brotherly love -- being pretty much stuck as my brother's snooty little sister -- but while I didn't find Anansi Boys quite as funny or sad as Neverwhere, it was somehow more moving. Sure it might've ended more effectively at the last mention of Tiger, but Anansi Boys is immediately captivating, improves as you read on, and is steeped in storytelling magic and family love.

It might have ruined my resolution to start getting to bed by 4 am, but it was worth it. I will have to finagle a copy for myself. And make a spider for my Etsy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment